Carrot Rhubarb Bread
I love this bread for many reasons. Mainly because it's not too sweet, it's satisfying, and it's extremely good for you! There's no refined flours or sugars or anything that you would typically see in bread recipes, and it's easy to eat for breakfast, as a snack, or even as an evening treat :)
I made this bread for our first Welcome Retreat last fall, and it was a crowd favorite!
1 cup oats
1 cup oat flour
4-5 spring carrots
3/4 cup walnuts
1 cup diced rhubarb, fresh or frozen
3/4 cup applesauce (no sugar added)
1/3 cup pure maple
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp baking chai spices from Savory Spice Shop (or use a combo of cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
coconut oil (for greasing the pan)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a loaf pan with coconut oil and set aside.
2. Using a large mixing bowl- add in the oats, oat flour, maple, applesauce, coconut sugar, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
3. Pulse the carrots in a food processor until they are minced. Then add to the oat flour mixture.
4. Pulse the walnuts in a food processor until they are roughly chopped. Then add to the mixing bowl.
5. Pulse the rhubarb in a food processor or dice it on a cutting board until it is finely chopped. Then add to the mixing bowl.
6. Mix well until all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
7. Pour the mixture into your loaf pan and bake for 40-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let it cool completely before serving. It will thicken as it cools.