If you'd like the inside scoop on my diet during the fall and winter, I hope you're ready to hear about a lot of soups and chilis, and I mean a lot. AND, you know what goes perfectly with chili? CORNBREAD.
Growing up my Grampy made the BEST cornbread. I would eat the entire pan, literally (not a lot has changed). However, now you can enjoy your grandparents very best cornbread without all the dairy! Even if you aren't sold on cornbread just yet- I urge you to try this!
If you're really feeling it, you'll make this alongside my lentil chili and you'll invite the whole family to enjoy.
I made this for my super sweet roommate and some friends, and I think it's pretty obvious that it was a crowd pleaser. Some enjoyed with honey, some with soup, and some straight from the pan. I personally like it with a tad bit of dairy-free butter on top :)
- 1 cup organic corn meal
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 cup rice or soy milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
- 2T flaxseed mixed with 4T water
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
** PLEASE NOTE: The pan pictured above is a large rectangular baking pan that I doubled this recipe for. This recipe is best for a square baking dish or a traditonal loaf pan.
- Preheat your oven to 375 fahrenheit.
- Grease the baking pan of your choice and set aside (see note about pan size above).
- Mix the flaxseed and water together in a small glass or bowl, stir well, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all other ingredients and stir well.
- Add in the flax mixture and stir until well-combined.
- Pour batter into a greased baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.